Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Database cleanup and server change  (Read 2845 times)

Aalwein

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
Database cleanup and server change
« on: July 19, 2013, 11:13:30 PM »
Been awhile since I've done any major changes to the backbone of the website, but this past week I finally outgrew shared hosting and had to make the leap to virtual private server. Major information shock for me; had to teach myself Linux, Apache, Postfix, Proftpd, and a whole lot about the back end of domain management. And it cost a whole lot more to have a VPS than shared hosting - although I did get a good deal on the first year at least. The site should run a good deal faster, especially during peak US times, since its on dedicated resources instead of sharing with a million other websites.

In any case, the website is now running on a fully customized server and managed entirely by me now, and since I just jumped into the deep end without a lifeguard on duty, there may be hiccups. Let me know if you find any issues.

Oh, and I cleaned up the database. There were session cookies from 2008 in there so in order to clean things up I purged the entire thing. Everyone may have to log out and back in to get things back up to speed. You might also need to delete any cookies stored for the site. Sorry for that inconvenience, but the upside is the database is slimmer and faster now.

noobo

• Retired Cat Herder
Re: Database cleanup and server change
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 05:17:07 PM »
w00t! Thanks Aalwein!!  :D
Cheers, Noobo

Havoc

• Hey Now
  • Retired Cat Herder
Re: Database cleanup and server change
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 03:49:16 PM »
Aalwein,