Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SSD's anyone?  (Read 5263 times)

noobo

• Retired Cat Herder
SSD's anyone?
« on: February 10, 2012, 10:11:26 AM »
Before I upgrade anything else, I'm thinking that my HD is my biggest bottleneck... browsing at SATA III SSD's now that the price for the 240 GBs is getting closed to $1/GB, at least for bargain manufacturers. Any recommendations or anything to watch out for? How does this hardware improve time spent watching the loading screen in LOTRO?
Cheers, Noobo

Aalwein

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
Re: SSD's anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 07:28:28 AM »
The biggest bottleneck for most games is the CPU; if you're using anything less than a Core i7-900 series (better is the 2600 series), that's your biggest suffering point.

Going from a 7200-RPM drive to a SSD is a pretty significant upgrade in load times. The best drives out there right now are the OCZ Vertex and Corsair Force Series 3 - both of which are usually identically priced retail. I prefer OCZ, but you'd be perfectly fine with a Corsair if you can find it on sale or something.

If this is your first SSD, I'd suggest getting a smaller drive since they are still pretty expensive once you pass the 120 GB mark. Keep in mind you only need to install the OS (Win7 Pro uses about 16-20GB) and your games. Grab yourself a 90 or 120 GB OCZ Vertex 3. Don't forget to check on Amazon.com - both manufacturers are very often on sale at Amazon. Once you see the performance gains you can decide whether or not it's worth it to get a second drive for your other applications.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 07:30:07 AM by Aalwein »

Gumpf

• Officer
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 08:26:23 PM »
There were a bad run of OCZ SSD's, so be wary of purchasing one used.

Aalwein

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 07:24:19 AM »
The OCZ Agility 2s were the drives with the bad run - the Corsairs weren't very reliable that generation either. The Agility 3s are quite good, but the Vertex 3s perform slightly better for just about the same price.

Both Corsair and OCZ use the same controller - SandForce - which is widely considered the "best bang for the buck" controller.

HessHelm

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 03:25:14 PM »
Slow hard drives can bottleneck as well.  As far as Lotro goes, SSD drive would make zoning/porting load out almost instantaneously.  Triple platter hard drives bottlenecks any gaming that access hard drives at any point, like loading new maps on FPS, Loading from one zone to another on EQ1.  But on an RTS game, HD speeds don't slow down the game play.

Right now all mechanical hard drives are at a record high, due to the flooding back in Nov.  I'm still waiting for the Samsung F3 1TB to go down in price for raiding purposes. 

I'd hold off on an SSD drive till I think Oct/Nov...?  I can't remember, but that's when the next gens are coming out.  Corsair has some good SSD, OCZ Vertex lines are also good.  All current SSDs now have Trim, so they won't die within a year.  Stay far far far away from any Gen 1 SSD without Trim support.

Gumpf

• Officer
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 12:51:26 PM »
I just picked up a 120GB SSD from Newegg for $120 (Shell Shocker & Rebate).  I've never used any Patriot product before, hoping the good feedback it has holds up on use.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220624

HessHelm

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 12:15:29 AM »
You're good, the Sand force has the most reliable controller atm.  That should last you for some time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up